Sunday, June 22, 2008

SC Half and NA Sports New 70.3 Augusta

For those of you that have not heard, North American Sports (aka Ironman) has announced that they will be having a 70.3 (half ironman) race in Augusta, Ga. in 2009. This will be the first "Ironman" branded race in the NC, SC, GA area. They have chosen the typical weekend of the SC Half as its date.


Why this date??? I'll let you draw your own conclusion. Me?? I'll always race the SC Half. If you race any of the SC series races, then you should too. Don't let the mystique of spending twice as much for a HIM race lure you to Augusta next year. Support your local series! NAS is business first, sport second. They will continue to place races near both the location and time frame as other non-"Ironman" branded races.

Another point...if qualifying for Clearwater is interesting to you, then you may feel inclined to race Augusta. Fine, no problem. I clearly understand. I would also be interested in qualifying for a Word Championship race. One day I dream of racing Kona. But...I'm not interested in the current venue for their 70.3 World Championship. It is well known that this race is a "draft fest". Too flat of a course with too many fast people on the course at the same time. Just my personal opinion and food for thought.

No comments: