Monday, May 12, 2008

Clemson Sprint Race Report

I felt pretty good heading into the sprint race, as I was worried about being tired from White Lake just this past weekend. Race went pretty well. I hoped for a podium spot and scored 3rd, so I'm content.

Swim: I guess I'm the only swimmer that doesn't sprint out at the start. I suppose I should start, b/c I felt like I had to swim over 10 people heading to the first turn. Oh well, I guess they do call it a sprint race for a reason. I lost a good amount of time trying to get around people...lesson learned. Swim was OK, not spectacular. I had 5 guys out ahead of me, so I had my work cut out for me on the bike.

T1: Terrible. In a hurry to get out on the bike, and I lost probably 10 seconds trying to get my shoes on. I need to practice this!!

Bike: HILLY!! Whoever said rolling hills needs to be shot : ) It was either up or down with about 1 mile of flats. Hammerred as best I could to get in a good position for the run. Came off the bike a distant second right in front of third. I wanted to hold onto second at this point.

T2: Crap. Lost another 5-10 seconds trying to get my feet out of my shoes and on top of the shoes while still pedalling. I really need to practice this. 20 seconds lost due to shoes is too much in a race so short.

Run: OK, now I remember I just did a half ironman last weekend. My legs couldn't get out of 2nd gear for anything. Well, excuses didn't make me go any faster. I was a sitting duck to be run down. I made it back in 3rd place. It was a pretty tough Open field, so I'm happy with that.

Looking forward to Lake Murray this weekend. Longer bike segment, which suits me well. I'll practice my transitions this week, too.

No comments: