Monday, September 8, 2008

Triathlon and Injuries : (

Anyone that has been in endurance sports for a couple of years has had to deal with overuse injuries. I've definitely had my share. This is my 3rd season in triathlon, and I have yet to make it through a full season without a MINOR issue. So far, this may be the first season that I don't have a MAJOR issue. Here are my thoughts on how to deal with injuries, and most importantly, how I've dealt with them this year.

First of all, when I say MINOR issue, I mean an ache and pain that prevents me from doing the full distances I would like. But, I am still able to do some training.

A MAJOR issue is when I'm laid up and not able to do any training.

My first year, I developed "Runner's Knee" and Achilles tendonitis

My second year, I developed IT band friction syndrome (the worst injury ever!!!!)

This year I have been able to hold off full blown achilles tendonitis and IT band friction syndrome. Both in opposite legs from last year. Go figure. Maybe my body is just not designed to do endurance events, or maybe I just push too hard too early. I'm thinking it's the second.

My first reccomendation to anyone that feels a tightness, pulling, achiness, or any feeling that is other than ordinary fatigue/soreness from training, talk to someone that knows sports injuries. Don't make the mistake of just "running/riding through it". I made that mistake my first two years. I thought I was a wuss if I didn't train in order to rest, so I just put myself out of my misery. Not a wuss, just real dumb.

Let me emphasize "someone that knows sports injuries". I can refer you to someone if needed, but I have seen Dr's that really don't know how to help serious endurance athletes.

If you do endurance sports, then you have to know the RICE acronym. This is the first treatment for most all overuse injuries. Google it and you can find a ton of material on proper techniques. It stands for Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. I have been able to apply the RICE method to my two injuries this year and prevent them from getting any worse. I've also used strength exercises that I've learned from my prior experiences.

The other step in keeping your injuries from getting out of hand is to know when to STOP. Again, don't run through it. You're not a wuss if you end up walking home. I do a lot of running on the treadmill when I have MINOR issues, so I can stop whenever I feel I need and not have to walk home. This is what happened to me last year with my ITBS. I was 5 miles from home, my knee was getting sore. I ran 5 miles home...end of story...out of commission. Had I stopped at mile 5 and found a way home, I could have possible avoided the injury that totally ruined my second half of last year's season.

So, again this is just some quick points from my experiences. I could make tell more, but I think you get the point. I'm still nursing my right IT band as I'm preparing for the SC Half and the Beach2Battleship Full Iron race. I'm not able to put in the running mileage I would like, but I AM still able to run.

My best advice for anyone that's having a problem is to see someone that knows sports injuries. Don't leave it up to WebMD for your diagnosis. Odds are you may need rehabilitation, and you don't want to leave that up to yourself.

Take care!

No comments: